Gardens




Tatton Park

Owned by National trust but leased to Cheshire East Council which is responsible for the entire financial and operational management of the site. Strong desire to monetize estate. Many excellent features but a bit of a mish-mash. The Japanese Garden is to the west of the southern end of the Broad Walk and is considered …



Cragside

Baron William Armstrong and his wife Margaret purchased the land at Cragside in 1863 and spent the reminder of their lives, until his death in 1900, developing the gardens. William Armstrong seems to have chosen the location as a result of his childhood holidays spent in the area and by the time of the purchase …



Lyme Park

Lyme Park was originally an area of the peak district moorland gifted to the Legh family in 1398 by Richard II in recognition of his service and it remained in the family for over five centuries. It was not until 1946 that the third Lord Newton gave the hall and approximately 550 hectares to the …


Stourhead

Stourhead is probably one of the most attractive gardens in England and comes as close to the idea of the Elysian Fields as any garden I have visited. The garden was in the main part created between 1719 and 1772, but some work on its development continued until 1840. There is in practice two areas …


Stowe

Of all the landscape parks of England, Stowe is perhaps the most typical of the tradition which it represents –Dame Sylvia Crowe,  Garden Design Stowe is rightly regarded as a defining example of an English Landscape Garden. Though not as beautiful as Stourhead; it is better than any other garden at capturing the spirit of …



Biddulph Grange

The gardens at Biddulph Grange were the creation of James Bateman (1811- 1897), though what you see today is the product of one of  the greatest garden restoration programmes undertaken. James Bateman moved into the property in 1840, two years after his marriage to Maria Egerton Warburton, and was in the fortunate position of starting …


Wallington

Though there has been some form of building on this site from the middle ages what is visible today is the result of work from the 18th century up to the late 20th century as the property passed through a convoluted chain of inheritance. The structure of the garden dates from 1728 when Sir Walter …